Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
Everyone experiences emotional pain in their life in one form or another. Sometimes the memories associated with this pain are not fully processed by the brain. Your ability to live in the present can then become inhibited.
This is not your fault or a sign of weakness.
These difficult experiences can strongly influence the way we think about ourselves, others & the world around us.
EMDR is an integrative psychotherapy for healing painful experiences from the past. It can accelerate therapy by resolving the impact of past upsetting memories & trauma allowing you to live more fully in the present.
EMDR therapy shows that the mind can heal from psychological trauma & distress, much as the body recovers from physical trauma.
It can effectively treat the effects of upsetting memories that manifest as symptoms of phobias, low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, and panic attacks.
‘Given the worldwide recognition as an effective treatment of trauma, EMDR therapy is effective in treating the “everyday” memories that are the reason people have low self-esteem, feelings of powerlessness, and all the myriad problems that bring them in for therapy’
(EMDR Europe Association).
Typically EMDR is used to help people recover from traumas such as childhood abuse, complicated grief, medical traumas, accidents, disasters, and assaults. EMDR is recommended by The World Health Organisation, NICE & ISTSS to treat PTSD. After successful EMDR therapy, the experience is still remembered, but the fight, flight, freeze response is resolved.
EMDR therapy can help treat:
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other trauma and stress-related issues including medical traumas, accidents, disasters & assaults
- Anxiety, panic attacks, and phobias
- Depression and persistent low mood
- Grief and loss
- Chronic pain
- Performance anxiety
- Procrastination and perfectionism
- Sleep disturbance
- Underlying low self-esteem
- Childhood abuse and/ or emotional neglect; attachment difficulties
Benefits to EMDR Therapy:
- Learn how to handle strong emotions without feeling overwhelmed. Find 'grounding' strategies that work best for you.
- Make sense of what has happened to you in a more coherent way. Gain a wider perspective.
- Unlock unhealthy patterns & move forward with clarity and purpose
- Leave behind toxic self-criticism, perfectionism, shame, guilt & blame
- Deal with feeling numb, nightmares & flashbacks (for some, flashbacks can be 'emotional' rather than visual)
- Feel more peaceful & resilient where once there was pain and 'stuckness'
Please Note: EMDR is not suitable for everyone (please see FAQs). After your initial enquiry, we can have a free consultation call to see if EMDR is likely to be suitable. If I believe that another therapist or type of therapy is more appropriate, I can make recommendations.
9 minute video explaining how EMDR works & how it can help:
Further information and FAQs
Feedback from clients I have treated with EMDR:
"Overcome stuck points"
"“EMDR was really beneficial. I genuinely feel this has been a life-changing experience & helped me overcome several stuck points I have been challenged with for many years. I have really enjoyed working with you” (June, 2020)
"A vast difference to my anxiety levels"
“I would highly recommend Beverley after having 12 sessions with her, she has made a vast difference to my anxiety levels. She is incredibly personable, and it was really key that I felt safe and secure (especially due to other experiences with therapy/therapists) and felt I was in a trusted space. She did everything possible to make me feel comfortable and unjudged and gave me effective tools to manage my anxiety and get to know myself better. We used a combination of talking therapy and EMDR, which turned out to be one of the most impactful sessions I did with Beverley. I've really enjoyed my sessions and would highly recommend her” (Google review Feb, 2020)
Click here to read more client testimonals
Reach Out for Your Free Consultation
Contact me to book your free no-obligation 15-minute consultation call (video or telephone) or drop me an email. We can discuss if EMDR might be a suitable option for you & answer any questions you have.